Monday, August 12, 2013

A Good Weekend in a Day


I had a good weekend Sunday.

I was not propductive Friday or Saturday for all the usual reasons. Blah blah blah who cares about your excuses John?

So two days with no work on the book, and only a week to go until my deadline. I guess I like to make myself sweat.

Sunday morning I sent out the call for news budgets (part of my copy editing shift, it just means sending out an email asking everyone what they've got coming for the day,) edited and posted a couple of stories, then got to work on Scurvy Dogs!

First time I looked up, I was a little surprised to see I'd knocked out more than 500 words. Then 1,000. Kept going. 2,000. Kept going. It was easy. The words were flying.

Finished the day with 2,723 words, and some really good stuff. "There's a dead guy down here!" Good action. Ended in a great place.

So for the three days of the weekend I averaged more than 900 words a day, although all of it was written Sunday from about 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Then we were off to the library.

The book is now at 47,650 words. The remaining unedited/revised bit is a little over 16,000 words. Most of that has to be completely rewritten, involving stuff that no longer makes sense with the story as it now stands. I believe it'll end up shorter than that, because the path is now much simpler and more straightforward. Probably not more than about 10,000 words.

And the story will be done. Deadline is next Monday. No more days off.


No comments:

Post a Comment