Saturday, January 1, 2011

Starting out

For several years now I have kept a writing log. I hesitate to use the word journal – too trendy for my old-fashioned tastes. A log.

Most days after I've finished my writing for the day I try to take a few minutes to jot a few thoughts down about what I'm doing, what's working and what's not, how many words I managed that day. And yes, okay, sometimes it's about what I did instead of the writing I was supposed to do that day.

It just feels like a "writerly" thing to do, it keeps me focused and on track. I also make notes about what I'm reading from time to time, 'cuz I read a lot. Our whole family does.

I have just about filled the last notebook I bought at Office Max for the log and was about to go down to pick up a new one, when it hit me: Write it as a blog.

I don't for a minute think I have anything groundbreaking or profound to say about writing, or even anything particularly interesting to say about my writing. Just random notes and thoughts and ideas. But I do it anyway, and since putting it online doesn't cost me anything and I will at least have saved about ten bucks (roughly the cost of the notebooks I use) and a trip across island to the Sunny Isle Shopping Center. It's all kinds of win for me.

And who knows? Maybe someone else actually will be interested enough to read it, maybe something I'm thinking of or going through here will strike someone somewhere else. Maybe they'll have an idea I can use to get out of my problem, or – dare I think it? – it will get them writing. (I can hear them now. "Jeez! If this schmeggegy thinks he can write a novel, why don't I give it a shot?" And seriously, if that's what it takes to get you writing, I'm cool with that.) Or maybe it will interest people enough that when I finish a book, they'll actually want to read it.

It could happen.

So that's what this blog is. My notes about the day's work. If anyone cares to follow along, be my guest. And if you don't, that's fine too. I'll be doing it either way, and this way with an extra few bucks in my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment