Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Making Progress

Been really busy with work the last few days. Done a lot of writing, but very little of it on "Scurvy Dogs!" Still, I've had a little time every day, and it's added up. Finished the third chapter, and starting chapter four.

For the record, since Monday I've done 1,176 words for a total now of 3,192. Or, off the top of my head, roughly three to five percent of the book. And almost 3,000 words for the various news stories I've written.

And under the circumstances, that's not bad. You don't always get all the time in the world. Sometimes it's about making use of the time you've got.

Couple of bright kids

I mentioned last week when I read to Tori's class, and the fourth grade joined them. They're good smart kids. When we were talking about the characters afterward, I asked them what they thought of Maggie Williams. "She's very elegant and sophisticated," one of the fourth grade girls said, putting her nose in the air. Such language! And I don't mean that in the way I usually would when talking about the way "kids today" talk.

Then another fourth grader – I'm don't recall why – mentioned that I was obviously a fan of pirates because of the tattoo on the inside of my forearm. Only he didn't say it that way. He said, "because you’ve got Blackbeard's flag tattooed on your arm." Most people don't get that. I've had dozens of people ask me what it is, but no one has ever glanced at it and said, "Oh, Blackbeard's flag. The devil stabbing a heart." Even the local brew pub, on the label for its delicious Blackbeard Ale, uses the Calico Jack Rackham Jolly Roger (crossed cutlasses under a skull.) So for a kid sitting 10 or so feet away to notice it and recognize it was impressive.

These are smart kids. If there's something wrong with the story they'll find it for me.


1 comment:

  1. Ain't kids grand? '
    There's hope for us all yet! :)

    This reminds me of a political luncheon I was hosting as part of my job. I absolutely do not remember what lead up to the comment but I simply stated: "I'm pagan." The politician in question said: "I know." Me: "Um. How?" And he proceeded to give the head point, rather like Gilligan to the Skipper when he's trying to be discreet. He was referring to my PotC coin pin that I was wearing on my lapel.

    I guess the skull gave me away.

    lol

    ReplyDelete