Monday, October 17, 2011

And Away We Go!

That was fun. Enough with the plotting. Started to get moving on the story. Finished the first chapter. Didn't wrote as much as I usually like, but I've got a bunch of errands to run, so that's OK. In fact, it' probably a good thing. One of my goals is to write it a little shorter, make the book read a little faster. Sometimes my writing can get downright baroque, so shorter is good.

Also took a bit of a gamble, Instead of establishing characters and place and time, all that exposition that "has to go somewhere," as Diana Rigg says in "The Great Muppet Caper" (my favorite Muppet movie, not the least because it features Diana Rigg) I just have these two young characters being chased. I want to see if I can make that interesting enough that it captures the reader right away, and lets me do the exposition a little later. I do a little to set it up, but it's mostly just action.

And I must remember Steve Swinburne's rule no. 1 – Active verbs! Tumbled, not "fell." Pelted and raced and streaked, never "ran."

Anyway, it's started And away we go!

Today – 801 words. Total so far - 1,1,37.

1 comment:

  1. That is fantastic. You know exactly what you want and have to do. Just brilliant. Thank you for your great advice. It is greatly appreciated. Good luck with the writing.

    ReplyDelete