Thursday, April 11, 2013

'Ha!' Says Life

So no sooner than I pledge that the WIP will be my main, my only, focus this month, when along comes life, giggling and throwing a curve.

Because one of my co-workers was involved in long, arduous move (more than 6,000 miles, and part of it involved driving from Miami to Denver with a dog in heat in the backseat.)  I ended up working 9 out of 10 copy editing shifts and 10 of 12. That'll take it out of a guy, especially when you know that the shifts usually run until about 1 in the morning and sometimes as late as 3. Then you get up in the morning to get kids out the door. I'm still kind of recovering.

But it hasn't been completely lost time. Wasn't a day gone by that I didn't get at least some writing done, not as much as I liked, but some. Couple of times it was only a few hundred words, but something every day. And the exciting part was, even at those short sessions I didn't have any trouble picking up the thread and running with it, even if the run was more of a short dash.

So progress is happening. The WIP is now at 37,559 words, which means I've gotten 5,218 done in the last 10 days. Not the 10,000 plus I'd have liked. But the story is moving along and I can see the end in sight.

I can also see what I forgot in the early chapters, so a third revision will be needed, but I don't think that'll be a problem. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment