Thursday, June 6, 2013

One Down for Now, Plenty Still to Do


Sent off Chance to Eddie the Agent Wednesday and feel really good about it. Tori provided some valuable feedback and it's in really good shape. It's not perfect and Eddie will no doubt have some thoughts on how to make it better. I look forward to his input.

But right now I have to put that out of my mind – it's Eddie's problem for now – and get back to work on other stuff. Most importantly, time to pick up Scurvy Dogs! for it's last draft. I've let a little time flow and now it's time to give it one more whack, make it a rollicking adventure. My style tends to get a little serious, and I want, well "rollicking."

And there's the movie treatment. It's a great story, but it's coming to me in bits and pieces and I don't want to rush it. I was crazy to think I could knock it out in a couple of weeks as if that's just what I do.

I've also got a file I need to keep updating, ideas for other stories. Sometimes you wrack your brain for an idea when the well's dry. Other times they flow like the storm drainage canal up the street during a big rain. You don't want to lose a promising idea, but it's too damn easy to get sidetracked. So I write 'em down. There's two on the list that date back years – one that dates back more than 20 years, but it's stilla damn good idea. The only problem is, it's gonna take some research I'm not quite able to follow up on yet – including a trip to London to get a feel for the lay of the land. One of these days, that's just what I'm going to do. The other I still recall writing an outline for while sitting on the beach in Oregon about 10 years ago. It just hasn't been the right time to write it.

But now, Scurvy Dogs! fourth and final draft. Who knows, maybe that'll be the one that finally pays off and make possible that trip to England.


No comments:

Post a Comment